Our Better Balance @ Home Program reduces the risk of falls among those who are at risk. After an evaluation by a physical therapist, an individualized program is developed for each patient. The program is administered where the patient feels most comfortable, and where 75% of falls occur—at home. The program incorporates therapeutic exercise, home safety and education tailored to the needs of each patient. Treatment principles include—Strength and Endurance : Studies show that exercise training can increase strength up to 48% over a 12 week period. Safety in Environment— the Home Environment— since 75% of falls occur in home settings. It is important to identify the environment factors that play a part in many falls. Patient and Family Education - our program information includes illustrated home exercise programs and checklist for home safety.
- Benefits to Patients/Caregivers and Physicians
- Decrease fall risk by improving strength, balance, endurance and flexibility
- Evaluate home environment for safety concern
- Make recommendations regarding safety in the home environment
- Educate the patient and family on appropriate exercises, fall prevention, and safety
- Chicago founded agency understands the local population